Painting by Numbers: Tips and Tricks for Beginners
If you are interested in taking up painting, then the trendy craft of painting by numbers is something you MUST try!
Your creative process will result in a fascinating landscape, beautiful portrait, mind-blowing still life and more - our extensive collection of Crafting Spark/Wizardi paint-by-number kits features designs that will meet any artistic taste!
Each kit contains a pre-stretched canvas, a set of acrylic paints and brushes and a reference sheet.
The technique is pretty simple – all you need to do is cover certain areas of the canvas with corresponding paint colors.
You might ask yourself: which areas should I start with, small or large, dark or light? However, there is no definite answer. It is up to each crafter to find their style of painting by numbers. You can use the “background to foreground” method: for instance, if you are working on a landscape picture, then you should start with painting the sky and finish with the meadow and flowers.
Here are some more tips that might be useful if you have just discovered painting by numbers and are about to embark on your creative journey:
- Before starting your project, make sure to find a well-lit working surface and prepare an easel, a pot with water for cleansing your brushes and a sponge for removing excess paint. Be careful when opening the paint pots not to spill the paint. If the paint is too thick, you can mix it with some water.
- Hold the brush like a pencil or a pen, dipping just the tip of it into the paint. Don’t press on the brush – make light strokes letting it slide over the canvas smoothly.
- Thoroughly cleanse your brush before changing to another color so that the two colors don’t mix. If this happened, try to remove the drop with a cotton swab.
- Don’t pick up too much paint with the brush. Otherwise, rinse the paint off with water and remove the rest with a dry sponge.
- When your painting is finished, you can seal it with varnish. Choose a glossy one if you want to enhance the brightness of the colors. A matte varnish will help preserve the color even if the painting is exposed to sunlight.
Which of our paint-by-number kits would you pick? Let us know in the comments!