Cross-Stitching on Water-Soluble Canvas: Customize Your Clothes with MP Studia's Designs!
If you’re looking to give a new lease of life to an old piece of clothing or accessory, like a t-shirt, baseball cap or bag, why not try decorating them with a cute cross-stitch design?
MP Studia’s kits with water-soluble canvas are perfect for that purpose and will definitely bring a whole new vibe to your garment!
The collection hit the market in 2018 and immediately gained popularity among stitchers. The reason is the lovely well thought-out designs and the high quality of the kit components – the floss doesn’t bleed into the fabric when washed and the canvas can be easily dissolved in water once the stitching is done.
Each kit from the collection contains:
- a cut of soluble canvas with the count equivalent to count 14 of a regular cotton canvas;
- cotton floss separated on an organizer (thread length is 50 cm);
- a symbol chart;
- detailed instructions in multiple languages.
So, once you’ve picked the design you would like to adorn your clothing item with (let’s say you’ve decided to cross-stitch the design onto your shirt’s pocket), you might be wondering how to proceed with the stitching process to minimize mistakes. We are happy to share a few useful tips that will make your cross-stitching experience easy and fun and guarantee your satisfaction with the result.
- Place the canvas on the fabric so that its five lower rows are inside the pocket.
- Secure the canvas along the perimeter with a loose running stitch, leaving two rows at each side. Prior to that, make sure that the center of the design matches the center of the pocket.
- Start stitching from the lower edge of the canvas, leaving one row along the mark-up. Work in horizontal rows, moving from bottom to top.
Important: make French knots after the canvas is removed.
- Once you’re finished, remove the mark-up stitches.
- Submerge the stitched area in warm water (40-50 C°) and leave for 5-20 minutes. Then, rinse the fabric in warm water to make sure the residual canvas is gone.
- Dry and iron your garment according the guidelines on its care label.
Important: Using hoops may stretch the fabric – as a result, the design can get deformed. When stitching on knitwear, it’s recommended that you stiffen the stitching area with fusible interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric.
For more tips on working with water-soluble canvas, check out this article.
You can find more information and guides on MP Studia’s products in the following articles:
Leave a comment